Updated: January 2019
Starfleet Media is committed to protecting the privacy of our website visitors. Your personal information will not be shared with any third-party sources unless explicitly noted and agreed upon. When providing your contact information, you will be offered a clear choice for the types of e-mail communications that you wish to receive from us.
As described below, Starfleet Media and its associated brands, including Starfleet Research, our IT market research arm, as well as our affiliated industry publications, such as Hotel Technology News, manages three forms of email relationships generated from contacts through our website and our other online properties, include content landing pages. Instructions for changing your e-mail relationship, including unsubscribing to future communications from us, is provided with each email we send. If you require further clarification regarding this privacy statement, please contact us at
E-mail Notifications and Newsletter Subscriptions
When subscribing to receive email notifications and newsletter subscriptions, Starfleet Media requires an email address and some general information. In return for your contact information, Starfleet Media provides you with quality content and notifications on topics related to our core focus of content marketing and lead generation in selected niche markets.
Downloading Content Assets
When registering for access to our Smart Decision Guides™, benchmark reports, cobranded eBooks, webinars or other content assets through any of our online properties, Starfleet Media requires a name, email address and other select information. In return, you will receive access to a downloaded PDF of the content asset your requested. Your contact information may be shared with the small number of companies that have agreed to participate as underwriters of that particular Smart Decision Guide™ and who may then contact you as a client prospect. Typically, in our landing page forms, we collect the following personal data: your name, company name, email address, telephone number and buying intentions. We may also gather this information through our network of industry trade publications, which includes multiple companies and organizations. We may add to this data any business profile information that we receive about you from other sources, such as your job title, industry, and company size.
Making Requests via the “Contact Us” and “Jobs” Pages
Inquiries that we receive through the “Contact Us” page are treated as direct contacts. These individuals and their contact information will not be added to the subscription or registration lists unless they specifically make such a request. Employment inquiries made through our “Jobs” page are also treated as direct contacts and will be responded to accordingly. These individuals and their contact information will not be added to the subscription or registration lists unless they specifically make such a request. In all cases, personal information is managed with great care and confidentiality.
Managing Your Personal Information
Starfleet Media, its affiliates and subsidiary properties deliver high-value content to industry practitioners. We also deliver qualified prospect information (“leads”) to B2B technology solution providers. GDPR regulations allow people in the EU to review their personal data from an organization. If you would like to see the data that Starfleet Media may have collected and retained about you, please fill out the Request My Data form and submit your request. We will deliver the information on record, if any, or provide you an update on your query. We generally respond within three (3) business days.
Cookies and Website Personalization
If at any time you wish to be modify your contact information or be removed from our email communications database, please send an email to email@example.com with information about the nature of your request.
You may also withdraw your consent for processing your personal data at any time. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent only has effect going forward and does not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent retroactively.
Any information referred to above may be used to maintain appropriate business records, to comply with lawful requests by public authorities and to comply with applicable laws and regulations or as otherwise required by law.
Where your personal data is processed in the context of our content marketing and lead generation activities in the European Union, you have the following statutory rights with regards to your personal data under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”):
- You may request access to your Personal Data, including the provision of a copy of the personal data subject to processing (right of access according to Art. 15 GDPR);
- You can ask us to update or correct any inadequate, incomplete or inaccurate data (right to rectification according to Art. 16 GDPR);
- You may request erasure of your Personal Data (right to erasure according to Art. 17 GDPR);
- You may restrict the processing of Personal Data (e.g. we may only store but not use your information while we assess your request for erasure – right to restriction according to Art. 18 GDPR);
- Where processing is based on our legitimate interests including profiling, you have the right to object to the processing (right to object according to Art. 21 (1) GDPR);
- Where we process your Personal Data for direct marketing purposes, you have the right to object to the processing at any time (right to object according to Art. 21 (2) GDPR);
- Where processing is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal (right to withdrawal according to Art. 7 (3) GDPR);
- Where processing is based on consent or on a contract, you have the right to data portability, meaning that you can ask us to provide your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format for your use or transfer to another controller (right to data portability according to Art. 20 GDPR); you can lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority (right to lodge a complaint according to Art. 15 no. 1 (f) GDPR).
- In May 2018, we signed a data processing addendum (DPA) with Unbounce, the marketing platform we use as the basis for our lead generation activities. Unbounce is a GDPR compliant platform with privacy and security safeguards built into its business practices. This DPA is available upon request, by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Starfleet Media, we care about your privacy. We have designed our practices and procedures to meet your privacy needs. If you have any other questions regarding your privacy and this statement please don’t hesitate to contact us at:
1616 N. Hudson Ave.,
Suite 300, Chicago, IL, 60614